Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ruffling Feathers...

Let me be upfront - I love the Great Universal Church. My sister went to seek her vocation with a Benedictine order three years ago and I helped out by buying her house and moving. It wasn't exactly what I wanted - but I did it for her benefit in the end. I support my church, my Bishop, and various organizations with whatever I can.

I don't mean to be a trouble-maker... but this has really bothered me for a while.

Legion of Christ and Regnum Christi - I have trouble with them. The people I've met and know are GOOD faithful people - but the organization seems much more controlling of it's members than any other order.

They're the only order I'm aware of that has a help-network for people that leave the order.

They're the only order that has been banned or severely restricted in six dioceses in the USA.

They're the only order that requires secrecy in their teachings. I believe they have a stated requirement of obedience to their leader Maciel above normal church-law, and must take private vows not to criticize actions of superiors and to report on those who did

They're the only order whereby consecrated women(akin to nuns) don't take public vows, only private. Thus they are not afforded protection through Canon Law.

And their leader Marcial Maciel has for 40 years been avoided accusations of sexual impropriety and drug abuse. Though the investigations have not been public, at this present day the church has censured his ability to perform public masses, or speak to the press.

They do have many good works - but I believe that they have a predatory tendency - and that really bothers me in this day and age.

My own experience with the them is very limited. A good friend of mine is in RC - and seemed happy - though I never, ever hear from her anymore. I made the mistake of calling it a cult upfront. Perhaps that is uncharitable of me.

And I only say this because a close friend of my family in Mexico had his daughter removed during the night from RC. Very cloak and dagger. Her father was a friend of the Pope, and was high up in another church lay organization.

I hadn't really thought of it for several years until a few months back when a friend of mine (A youth minister) confided in me that he was troubled by a tradition in the church. I spoke with him for hours - but he was afraid to speak with his Priest for fear. I've never experienced this feeling - being a convert. I'm Catholic because I came to believe in the One Truth, not the other way around. Thankfully he did speak with a good spiritual director!

Our youth SHOULD be joining orders - but it should be a true vocation, a willful response to the call of God. The reported tactic of using the "Will of God" to pressure youth into service is an abuse of authority, in my opinion. Obedience to our Church rests on our freely given Love of God.

I know that there is plenty of good in the organization, but all I can say is that I avoid them for the time being. Perhaps I am wrong, and for the good of the Church, I really hope I am. If I have offended, forgive me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was an LC seminarian several years. My experience is extremely good: I found a place to seek for God's will.

Anonymous said...

Convivialdingo,

My experience is similar to yours and I totally agree with your opinion.

Thank you for speaking up!

Anonymous said...

I was an LC seminarian for 14 years. I can second everything that you say above. It is not a good group. I am sorry that I stayed so long, and hurt people myself with the controling system.

Anonymous said...

Now the LC is suing its critics to keep their Constitutions secret. This is an outrage, and is not Catholic by any means.