Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Puzzling Pundit! Where R U?

I've made no secret of my admiration for Ron Paul. A *lot* of us these days describe ourselves as "libertarian leaning."

A memory came to mind today that I thought might be good to share.

I went to visit a former, and most beloved, teacher after university classes.

The Presidential election was in sight.

She casually asked about my political leanings.

I enthusiastically told her I was neither straight vote Republican or Democrat. Feeling *really* progressive, and in trusted company, I confided that I intended to vote Libertarian in my first-ever election!

The look on my dear teacher's face would have frozen a lightening bolt.

"Libertarians are outright racists!!!"

We both just sat there, watching each other's reactions. I had NEVER heard such a thing. After some research, the accusation proved to be accurate.

That was almost 20 years ago.

Is there a lingering perception the Libertarian party is racist?

Is that perception justified?

What influences lead voters to turn from the other parties toward the LP?

Just thoughts before the election.

This is some election year.

Pax!

No comments: