Monday, July 21, 2008

Gearing Up for Homeschool Version 2008-09

Oh, man. This is the time of year I buy much stuff which is of no practical use.

To offset the binge school shopping, I have

1) Decided to stick with what works for K-5, which is
----MCP math
----Little Angel Readers
----Catholic National Readers
----history based on holidays
----science based on the world around us
----geography based on the lives of the saints. This year, a big ol' map goes up. Yay!!!

2) Mother Goose Time for all 5 - a pre-packaged preschool curriculum. Only subscribed for 3 moths to see how it goes. Historically a great segue into school. Daily art projects, which save me time, money.

3)6th and up will forever more do correspondence school, specifically Seton. I've had my pendulum swinging about this particular program since the eldest was a newborn. Infused with Catholicism from day one (one of my early gripes.)
All grades are extremely challenging. I prefer a laid-back approach in the early years, though. 6th is when I think it's time to move outside the basic parameters.
High school? Focused, rigorous, excellent. Beyond college prep, the insight into all subjects is truly university level work. Mucho AP and CLEP placing anticipated.

4) Adding Spanish, piano, and guitar. "Cause they are just plain FUN!

Definitely our most ambitious year, but I am so ready for this challenge! I always get a bit (!!!) hyped when school starts. My primary objective this year is to channel that energy correctly.

As my teacher friends tell me often, education is an art in need constant fine-tuning. :) How I love you guys for being open about YOUR teaching process. It keeps me uplifted and on task. SUCH A BLESSING YOU ARE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUGS! & yay YOU!