Thursday, May 01, 2008

Cyrus photos frustrate parents

Well..... DUH

I am sick, sick, sick of these little girls being trotted out as role models, only to take a walk on the wild side.

Stunning to parents who seem to still (?!?&#$@) trust Disney. Confusing for kids.

Now, we are very very careful about what our kids watch.

Our oldest gets it, to the point she did not pitch a fit when told she could not go to what is widely considered to be a Christian concert. If all of our children live with that level of trust in our attempts at wisdom, I will be a most happy Mama.

Maybe AP Language and Comp did me in. Everything has a point. Watch it!

Raise your hand if you've had enough of this crap.

(raising hand! Pick me! Pick me!)

6 comments:

Johnny Ong said...

just need place our trust on God and not on human beings. cyrus is just a young girl not knowing what's best for her

Anonymous said...

::sigh:: And where was her father, during all of this?

Parents -- even Hollywood parents -- need to do their job... and parent!

celogomama said...

@ Johnny: Trust in God necessitates human discernment. They walk heart and heart through the world.

@Rufel: Apparently Dad stepped out near the end to go to a meeting. Then Annie Leibowitz worked her black magic.

Annamaria said...

Um...how old is she? I think some of the responsibility should be on her as well. She's not a kid any more. It would be about time, since she's earning money.
But that's just me. I was held responsible for what I was doing from pretty early on.

celogomama said...

She's 15.

As a parent, I would have known about the photographer's past and been very vigilant.

If she was my daughter, I would definitely hold her accountable for this huge indiscretion.

But, I expect my daughters to know when something feels wrong.

I attempt to teach the meaning and value of modesty. This would be an obvious and blatant violation against that virtue.

Anonymous said...

The whole celebrity teenage girl thing -- Lindsey Lohan, Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus -- it's just sad that they seem to be celebrated/rewarded/given more media attention even more for looking and/or acting like jail bait.

But unlike Lindsey and Brittany, Miley's father is in the entertainment business as well, and so he's had experience in wading through the Scylla and Charybdis of media exploitation. Thus he, as his daughter's legal guardian, should've been her advocate, instead of her agent. I think, in the case of Miley, perhaps she was entirely *too* trusting in her father's opinion so that, since her father left her alone with these people, then it must be okay.

I know that not all celebrity parents and children are like this, but the ones who make the "bad" news -- especially since they make their bread and butter with *Disney* -- are especially troubling for their just-ordinary-folks kid-fans.