Thursday, September 07, 2006

Eine schöne Schrift

or... how to teach children to write lovely letters.

I am picky about the strangest things. This is, I'm sure you know, a given.

Yikes! All I wanted was a nice, German font to teach the eldest cursive. Why? Well, I think the handwriting taught in school is lacking, and I really want something lovely. So... turns out the German font I preferred has an S that could be confused for an L. Fortunately, I tried before I bought.

I had another Schulschrift I bought last year. The only thing I don't like about that one is the t's look funny, crossed on the bottom rather than the middle. My graphics editor says he can fix it pretty easily. This is good, because the eldest really digs the new style, but wants to cross those t's!!

We're trying something unusual. The first quarter, most of her writing will be traced or, if an original work, retraced using this font. I believe one of the reasons penmanship suffers so in this country is a lack of correct practice. You can't really expect perfect penmaship from copying off a board, can you? (Not a rhetorical question!)

Any of my teacher friends who have insight or opinions about the correct methodolgy and/or current state of handwriting , drop a line.

2 comments:

The LQ said...

Ooo -- handwriting pedagogy -- I have no clue. My handwriting sucks lemons! :-)

celogomama said...

Well, after a week of tracing, we've decided to back off. It is taking way too long for her to complete her daily assignments.