Saturday, July 15, 2006

New Cure

I have been a fan of The Cure for many, many years. It all started when I saw the video for Boys Don't Cry in Bremen, Germany when I was 14. Yeah... well over 20 years ago.

So, I had to buy Staring at the Sea the next day. Wow. Loved it.

Came home with my new collection of pictures of these unusual looking musicians. (Side note... I read a blog last night that suggested R. Smith got his hair and makeup tips from the recently deceased Syd Barrett. That's a joke, but there is this odd similarity.) The music is fantastic. I love the riffs. I am a lyrics person at heart, though, and I found a lot of interesting lyricism in The Cure's works.

And so, when I'd go to Austin to whup up at the state German contests, I began collecting older material, including a rare copy of Three Imaginary Boys. Even have a copy of Do the Hansa, which I find ironic LOL I was having a lot of fun.

Fast forward more than 20 years. I just downloaded Taking Off. What an amazing song for we convivial types. I mean *really* And the video soars (literally) (300kbps streaming. see http://www.thecure.com/downloads/ for 56kbps)

The antithesis of Taking Off would have to be The End of the World. But that video... again, wow. Yes, of course there's plenty anticonvivality floating about in their songs, but IMHO it serves to highlight the grotesque disorder of the world.

Speaking of which, have you seen the Dani California video by the Red Hot Chili Peppers? You will laugh your, well, see for yourself I have a lot to say about this, but primarily it lies in the realm of explaining marketing to the kids when they're much, much older LOL

No comments: