Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mandatory Service for everyone?

So I've had a contemplative thought as I read about FedEx reducing overall salaries to protect jobs in the company.  In the ensuing discussion I began to ponder the very idea of service and how we view it as Americans.

And I came up with the ultimate idea.  Mandatory service for all.

I've met far too many Doctors(PHd & Md), scientist and lawyers who approach life as an entitlement which is no different than welfare entitlement. In fact I think one sentiment stems from the other.

You don't get that shared American experience at Harvard, Hopkins or the hood either. They exist as practical homogenous environments. Such an experience between the two is an interesting way to break that barrier - if only a little.

And while I originally pondered a mandatory military service, such as is implemented in Germany, Switzerland and Isreal - it occurred to me that my pondering could in fact solve far many more problems such as balancing the budget by lowering the cost of government, and raising students standards by providing teacher aids and tutors.

In other words - mandatory public service one year after graduation, followed by one week a year, for every able adult.  And they don't get to choose where.  Can you imagine?

It brings ask not what your country can do for you right home.

Ok, tons of issues with this, like rich people getting out of work and scary criminals and all that jazz.  So what?  I happen to believe that criminals are born of circumstance - and I believe the statistics easily back that up.  I'm sure we could spice it up with tax incentives and apply some federal penalties for those that fail to comply.

After all - we let the average Joe perform as a juror who can execute another citizen.  Yet we're afraid to make ourselves a better nation though service.

Some interesting articles about the subject.
  1. SFGate on Jim Lehrer's ideas
  2. Universal Service Act of 2003, a failed proposal
My biggest gripe about my own idea though is that it hinges on a political element.  There is far too great of an opportunity for this political element to degenerate into soviet-style "Young Communist" programs and the like to become a tool of indoctrination.

I'm still idealistic about it -  but it falters on the basic principle of liberty and a wariness of intentions.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had a similar idea for years. The only differences would be that the initial term would be longer and you would choose among different ways to serve. Choosing military service would be shorter, but riskier of course. It seems that college is wasted on the young. Perhaps a year of college, then volunteer. Then continue using some of your hopefully newfound maturity, or at least awareness, in your education. It might help the "undecided" find what they really want too.

I like your idea of continuing it through life though. That's where it really could get unwieldy I imagine.

Anonymous said...

After a particularly bad semester, dealing with not-anywhere-near-college-ready students this year, J has given to loud outbursts of "BRING BACK THE DRAFT." But non-military public service sounds appealing, although I can see your own objections in there in spades.

Convivialdingo said...

I really like the idea - but there are difficult issues to overcome.

My purpose in extending volunteer service through adulthood is an important part of the plan. Primarily, we too often make laws for "the other folks," and secondly because I think that adults live within walled villages as well.

I prefer to keep service times short, first because we prevent burn-out and secondly to prevent dependency upon government.

My objections may be out-weighted by the benefits however. Like anything else, there is risk in every good idea!