Sunday, November 16, 2008

Announcing... the Quantum Bomb

So I'm going to make one of my grand predictions... Some day in the future humanity will produce a weapon capable of complete annihilation.

A few years back a team developed a terahertz detector - rigged it up to a camera and everything was pretty neat

Then recently a Swedish team developed a quantum cloaking device:

In practice, this means designing quantum corals, elliptical nanostructures, that absorb terahertz waves of specific frequencies. When a molecule that emits this frequency is placed at the focus, it cannot be spotted. It is essentially invisible.

What this means to me - is that e still equals mc^2.  In other words, energy IS matter, and though messy and antiquated machines of destruction are very much a threat - it may be possible in the future to "unmake" matter utilizing quantum mechanics, and a massive amount of energy.

Ok, I've officially scared myself.

2 comments:

Annamaria said...

Anything with 'quantum' in it oficially scares me. OK, except the last James Bond movie. Daniel Craig doesn't scare me. Um, not at all. ;)

Johnny Ong said...

there will be one that wont get to be named ....... the one that got exploded in the lab