Tuesday, September 09, 2008

End of world rescheduled for sometime late November...

LHC (Large Hadron Collider for those of us living under two rocks) is set to perform a beam test tomorrow - which in plain terms means they're going to send some particles onto the two main loops.

All this hubbub about the world being destroyed is flakey nonsense because:
  1. There won't be any collision tomorrow
  2. It's running at ~7% speed (which we've been doing for over 20 years now)
  3. The first collision is whispered to be in November.
I'm looking forward to something spectacularly WRONG to happen myself.  And I don't mean that in a malicious way - I just don't think that we're going to fund the Higgs boson (the mysterious particle as it's known).

So what will they find?  Well what I'd like to find is a graviton... Now THAT would rock.  Totally unlikely... but I can always hope!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A graviton *would* rock -- hover bikes, here I come! :-)

On a random note: Too bad the Supercolliding Supercollider got axed way back when. Who knows what we would have discovered if it hadn't? :-(